Saturday, August 12, 2006

I was planning on being out all night Friday, so I figured I would play a quick tournament in the afternoon, hoping to complete within 3.5 hours. Looking at the games, there was only one that really appeared to be of interest and within my price range: 10/1 rebuy, PL 5 card draw.

Now, 5 card draw was my first poker love. I first learned how to play the game with my parents when I was about 8, and my friends and I would gamble random things with them, mostly baseball or Magic cards. So when decent five card game comes along, I am down to play in it.

This ended up being a 108 person tournament so only 10 places paid out. I was doing alright, playing a bit aggressively and my stack fluctuated until I busted out near the top 70and decided to rebuy, thus costing me $20. After that, I built a respectful 4k stack by the break (1.5k starting stack) and added on for another $10 at the break. By that point I was in the top half of players.

I continued to be aggressive and trying to play people's betting habits/draws and had decent success. One of the weird things is that the average pre-draw raise was only 2x the big blind. At some point one of the dogs puked on the carpet and I had to clean it. So I did that while playing.

I got near the bubble when I realized I had only an hour left, play slowed down and I picked up a few pots...but then one of the dogs pissed on the carpet. So I had to punish her while cleaning up the mess, watching the clock, and playing the game.

Finally I clear the bubble and we are in the top ten, but my time to get picked up is nearing and I have to take care of the dogs one time before I leave. So I run downstairs and feed them, run back up and don't miss anything. Then the 3rd break comes and I run the dogs downstairs, take them all out to the bathroom, then put them away to come up and only miss a hand I would have folded anyways.

I have 10 minutes left and there are 7 people left, so I have to up my bluffing and moves. Number 7 drops and then I am left as short stacked, I pick up a few pots, but then I become pot committed, forced to bluff, get called, and I end up losing to a marginal hand with a busted draw.

6th place netted me $110, so not a bad showing for a game I do not play as much (but have studied a bit and have known most of my life).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home