Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Morning Rebound

After taking three painful hits last night, I had a pretty good rebound this morning that involved doubling up at the two $100NL tables I was playing at(I either had a below buy-in stack or my opponents did, so I left both tables with $175).

The first hand was with QcQh. I raised 4x the BB and had a caller or two until it go to the blinds with a guy raising it to $18 (he started the hand with $200+). I thought for a bit and figured if I hit my set I would make a bit of cash, so I called and everyone else folded. Flop was Js10S3h. A pretty dreadflop as I am losing to AA-TT now, AK and AQ just got a gutshot draw and spades just recieved a flush draw. The SB raised to $25. I think a bit more and have a feeling the guy is trying to buy it so I call.

Turn: 9s. One of the worse cards possible (the others being A,K, maybe a Q). Straight and flush draws both just made their hands. He pushes in $43. The right bet for a made hand, though I think he would check it to me if he made it and let me pay him off instead of scaring me off the hand. I call the rest of my stack dreading the outcome hoping at the very least I hit a straight to beat an overpair.

River: 7s. Another really horrible card. Any spade, 8, pocket pair AA-99 beats me (QsQc beats me because of the flush, 8s because of the straight, the rest all have trips). There are very few starting hands that I can beat at this point.

We flip our cards up. He holds QcTh. I win a huge pot and am amazed that I got extremely lucky and called his bluffs both times. He promptly left the table.



----
The second hand involved pocket aces. I slowplayed by calling a simple 2xBB raise in the SB against two callers. Flop was Ad9h5d with raising action between the other two so I called and waited. Turn was a heart. I check, SB raises to $4, MP raises to $20, I raise to $45, SB folds, MP goes all in. River is a low club and he shows pocket 5s for trips to be crushed by my aces.
----

Both hands were not my best plays by any standard, but I am quite happy with the results.

Challenge Bankroll updated: $324.40

3 Comments:

At 1:25 AM, Blogger Curatio said...

That was one sick beat with the runner-runner full house! Nice to see some good luck coming your way, though, to make up for it. Are you playing the Prima bad tables, now?

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Syphos said...

Oh, forgot to update that section of my Standings. Yeah, I am playing the .5/1 Beat tables. They seem rarely filled at higher NL levels, so if I hit $400 (Last night I ended up at $375 after some late night play) I might stick around there and play with the fish until the JP is hit...


I won a $240 pot with AK (pair of aces) on an extremely disconnected board, and people just kept betting small, calling my large reraises...I can't beat that kind of action elsewhere.

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Curatio said...

Yeah, the Prima bad beat tables were very profitable for me, too. I've seen a full NL$200 or PL$200 occasionally during West Coast late evenings, so you still might be able to move up a level.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home