Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Often, the best skill can overcome bad luck and, similarly, the best luck can overcome the poorest skill (though when these two things are contention, Phil Hellmuth loses). However, when you are in a Multiple Table Tournament, you need a combination of skill and definitely some luck to win your coin tosses and the occasional 34/64 underdog situation (any worse and you probably should have laid the hand down...especially if you are a 20/80 underdog with your jacks against someone’s queens).

Last night, I decided to tempt my luck with another $5/.50 rebuy/addon since the last one went so well. This one was doing well and my luck carried me through some rough/poor decisions - probably the best was when I was small blind, everyone folded to me, and I called. The big blind raised it the minimum amount up to 1.6k, and I decided to punish him for being obnoxious. I call with my 4c 5c. Flop is 464 and I ended up winning after all the money goes into the center, his A9 post-flop bluff did not hold up.

By the end of the second break, there are 30 people and I am 16th with about 14k in chips, top 10 pay out (Even though there were 200 to start with). Shortly after this, I get dealt AQo in late middle position and raise 3x the BB, the chip leader calls and everyone else folds. Flop is JJ4, I bet half the pot (4k into 7k pot) and he calls. At this point, I should lay the hand down and give up as the only hands that can call me there are pocket pairs, a jack, or maybe AK. However, I bluff again, and a third time in the river putting it all in. The CL turns over pocket Jacks for quads...his method of smooth calling each time paid off.

So, afterwards, I realized my mistake and flagellated myself over it as I running good and made a bad bet. However, 29/200 was an acceptable showing and at least gives me some consistency is placing deep into the tournament.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home